Costa Rica

Costa Rica

Friday, February 28, 2014

Jeez, Not ANOTHER Vegan Blog

          Welcome to the first day of what I hope will be a continuing journey here in cyberspace!  The Broke Vegan has been an idea that’s been gestating in my head for a while.  I want to say right off the bat that no matter if you are vegan, vegetarian, or meat-eater, I welcome everyone!  I hope you can get something interesting out of the reading – even if it’s a laugh at my expense… although, I prefer if we were laughing together. Meh.

If you’ve been curious about veganism and don’t know where to start, I hope I can help.  If you’ve been a lifelong vegan, I hope you can help me by pointing out things I might be missing or would benefit from knowing about.  I’m still a relative newcomer to the vegan world myself, after all.  Always feel free to leave a comment!  I will try to respond as quickly as I can to as many people as I can.  And if you want your comment to show up as part of a future blog entry, make sure to put something like “OK TO USE” at the bottom of your comment.  I want this to be a cool, fun, and welcoming environment.

I guess now would be a good time for introductions.  I’m Matthew, but by now I hope you would’ve gathered that by my name being thrown up on the home page here. I’m 32 (excuse me while I suppress a gag), married, a nerd, broke (d’uh), and vegan.  I’ll be getting into more of who I am in the coming entries.

In the meantime, please pardon the bare bones feel of the blog right now.  It’s still in the early stages but I hope to someday get things looking decent.  I'll add pictures to future blog entries.  I’m not a pro at this kind of thing like most people seem to be nowadays.  Please be kind.

“It’s a vegan blog… so where’re the recipes, man?”

            Whoa.  Calm down, everyone.  Here at The Broke Vegan, it won’t be so much a cooking site but a general, all-encompassing, everyday-vegan-life site.  I’ll talk about foods that I eat – whether it is homemade by my amazing vegan wife or at restaurants around the world – but I want it to be more.  I want to share news about companies, people, books, magazines, entertainment, locales, and anything else that comes into contact with the vegan world or make the vegan world go round.  I want to spotlight people who help being a vegan in a meat-eater world easy.  Not only that, but perhaps there is a new restaurant somewhere you might not have heard about.  Maybe there’s a cool company using non-animal-based products.  Or maybe there’s going to be a cool vegan (or vegetarian) event that you might not have heard about that I’ll be attending.  It’s all going to be thrown onto the collective canvas that is The Broke Vegan.

            And if you come across something cool and want it mentioned here like I mentioned earlier, then leave your comments and I’ll make it a point to search that cool find out.

            The main thing I want people to take away is that you don’t have to be super rich to be vegan.  You don’t have to shop at Whole Foods (although, guilty as charged) to be able to live.  You don’t have to eat carrots as dessert (although, again, guilty as charged).  Basically, you don’t have to be the walking stereotype of what most people think a vegan has to be.

            …I just tend to fall into a few of them.

            I only have one rule and that is to never be disrespectful to one another here.  Have fun.  It’s not just a blog but it can also be a support group for one another.  I hope new vegans will find the information I share helpful as they continue their journeys.

            So, welcome!  Welcome to The Broke Vegan.  I’m your host, Matthew.  If you feel so inclined, you can reach me on Twitter if you want to hear more than just vegan-centered news.  However, I suspect most of you will have your fill of me here.
            Hope to hear from many of you soon!

2 comments:

  1. Awesome, Love it, the world needs more vegan blogs then ever. I'm so glad you decided to dive into this! Can't wait to see what's next.

    PS: Thanks for the link :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, darling! I hope this takes off & helps or entertains people. I can't wait to see what's next, either!
      & you're most welcome for the link. Your blog is AMAZING! I hope mine is 1/2 as awesome as yours.

      Delete